Thursday, May 16, 2013

Winter Park FL - Albin Polasek

I started off my plein air season this year down in Winter Park Florida, near Orlando.
This was a new event for me and I really enjoyed it. It is held and run through the Polasek Museum.

What a treat this place was! I have walked by some of Albin Polasek's pieces in Chicago years ago and didn't even know it. This guy was incredibly talented, one of the best I have even seen besides Michelangelo especially with the female nudes. Incredibly sensitive, and the poses he created and are absolutely entrancing and very alluring.

Seeing that it was raining at the beginning of the event I spent the first day in his studio painting and taking in all of this wonderful inspiration.


Interior shot of his studio.


Eve - Albin Polasek - as I noted earlier - incredible sensitivity!


Maiden of the Roman Compagna
Loved this piece so much felt the need to paint it.


"Maiden of the Roman Compagna" 12" x 16" oil on linen panel


He even had his portrait painted by Charles Hawthorne.


Morgan Samuel Price and I went into Orlando to the Bohemian Hotel to check out the Dean Cornwell paintings, amazing!!!



It was really nice to see  some originals of his work. I have never seen one before only admired them from books, pretty amazing work to say the least.


Painting outside of the Prado and Park Ave, love those red chairs.


Stephen painting a nocturne with what appears to be studio lighting. He had a marine battery with a converter with two plugs, I could have been charging my laptop had I known. Pretty cool set up.


I rented a car in Orlando for my 3 week stay in Florida and somehow got stuck in a Mini. Amazing how small that car really is! Surprisingly I had plenty of head and leg room, but my gear was usually falling out of the back, no real room for my easel, but it was fun to drive.

Thanks to Hal and all of the folks in Winter Park, as well as David and Lynn in Maitland for hosting me, it was a very enjoyable trip!

1 comment:

eric bowman said...

Never heard of Polasek -- that Eve piece is killer! I'm envious of your getting to see those original Cornwell's too...I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE!! Also would have enjoyed watched you crawl out of a Mini -- must have been like going to the circus...